Western Ridge Project
Project at a glance
BHP Western Australia Iron Ore (WAIO) is currently studying options for the Greenfield development of the Western Ridge site, adjacent to Mt Whaleback, West of Newman.
As part of the project, the Company is seeking expressions of interest (EOI) from suitably qualified contractors to gain an understanding of the capacity and capability of available contractors for the proposed project.
The proposed project will require the establishment of mining operations at Western Ridge and construction of associated process, and non-infrastructure including:
- Primary crushing facility;
- Overland conveyor system with transfer station;
- Radial stacker;
- Bulk hopper facility;
- Civil and bulk earthworks;
- High voltage overhead powerline and low voltage power reticulation;
- Water infrastructure and distribution services;
- Wireless communications infrastructure;
- Installation of supporting non-process infrastructure to support the new mining areas including offices, ablutions and construction accommodation.
As per individual EOI work packages, main construction works forecast CY 2023.
Approximate Project Value (CAPEX):
$500 million - $1 billion AUD
Local and indigenous participation:
In line with BHP's commitment to supporting the communities in which it operates, requirements relating to the engagement of local and Indigenous vendors will be included in the selection criteria.
The Western Ridge Project is currently in the study phase. The scope descriptions, timelines and values stated in this project description are indicative only and subject to change.
Minimum Requirements for Supplying to BHP:
Our approach sets out the minimum health, safety, environment, community and business conduct requirements for our suppliers. These requirements apply to all BHP suppliers globally as well as to anyone engaging suppliers on our behalf.