Sydney Metro West - Central Tunnelling Package
Project at a glance
Senior Consultant | Sydney and Sydney Surrounds
Sydney Metro West is a new 24-kilometre metro line with stations confirmed at Westmead, Parramatta, Sydney Olympic Park, North Strathfield, Burwood North, Five Dock, The Bays, Pyrmont and Hunter Street in the Sydney CBD.
This new underground metro railway will double rail capacity between Greater Sydney and the Sydney CBD, with customers able to get from Parramatta to the Sydney CBD in around 20 minutes on a fast, safe and reliable driverless metro train.
Tunnelling work along the line is to be delivered under three packages:
- Western Tunnelling Package (Westmead to Sydney Olympic Park)
- Central Tunnelling Package (Sydney Olympic Park to The Bays)
- Eastern Tunnelling Package (The Bays to Sydney CBD)
Acciona Ferrovial Joint Venture (AFJV) has been awarded the contract to design and construct the Sydney Metro West - Central Tunnelling Package (CTP).
The contract includes:
- Twin 11-kilometre metro railway tunnels from The Bays to Sydney Olympic Park;
- Excavation and civil works for five new stations at The Bays, Five Dock, Burwood North, North Strathfield and Sydney Olympic Park;
- Two double-shield, hard rock tunnel boring machines (TBMs);
- A crossover cavern at Burwood North and a precast facility at Eastern Creek;
- More than 70,000 concrete segments to line the twin tunnels;
- Two access shafts at Burwood North and The Bays;
The project is due to start tunnelling in early 2023 at The Bays site (adjacent to the western end of Anzac Bridge, Rozelle), launching two TBMs that will travel underground in a west-bound direction and be retrieved at Sydney Olympic Park in late 2024. Demobilisation and project completion will occur in 2025. Subsequent contractors will be responsible for the tunnel fit-out and building the stations.
How to register an Expression of Interest (EOI)
- Work packages currently available to submit an EOI for are listed in the 'Work Packages' tab above. Refer to the EOI User Guide below for instructions and assistance to submit an EOI.
- To submit an initial EOI for the work packages, companies must have an ICN Gateway company profile. Information on how to register your company on ICN Gateway is detailed below.
ICN Gateway Company Registration
- Click here to register your company profile on ICN Gateway.
- Support and assistance is available through the web links listed below.
- Your company summary and company description are used to assess your ability to complete projects when you lodge an EOI - please ensure that your company invests the time and energy required to represent your company in the most effective manner possible.
The Gamuda Australia and Laing O'Rourke Consortium is delivering the Sydney Metro West - Western Tunnelling Package. The contract includes the delivery of twin nine kilometre tunnels between Sydney Olympic Park and Westmead, excavation of two new metro stations, a stabling and maintenance facility at Clyde and a precast facility at Eastern Creek.
Sydney Metro is Australia's biggest public transport project. In 2024, Sydney will have 31 metro railway stations and a 66km standalone metro railway system, revolutionising the way Australia's biggest city travels. By the end of the decade, the network will be expanded to include 46 stations and more than 113 kms of world-class metro for Sydney.
Metro means a new generation of world-class fast, safe and reliable trains easily connecting customers to where they want to go. Customers don’t need timetables – they just turn up and go.