South Geelong to Waurn Ponds Duplication
Project at a glance
The South Geelong to Waurn Ponds Duplication project will deliver more frequent and reliable services and better stations for passengers on Victoria's busiest regional rail line.
The project will duplicate around 8 kilometres of track from South Geelong Station to Breakwater Road, and between Marshalltown Road and Waurn Ponds Station. This will make it easier for trains to pass each other, which helps services recover from unexpected delays more quickly, boosting reliability.
South Geelong and Marshall stations will be upgraded with new station buildings, second platforms, pedestrian overpasses, and better accessibility for passengers in these growing communities. Extra parking will be added to Marshall Station, with more than 200 new spaces to be available for passengers.
The project also includes signalling upgrades along the line and the removal of the Fyans Street and Surf Coast Highway level crossings, to boost safety for the more than 70 trains and around 36,000 vehicles that use these level crossings each day.
More than five kilometres of new shared user paths will be constructed, linking the Bellarine Rail Trail with South Geelong Station and to the Barwon River Trail, creating a continuous connection for cyclists and pedestrians between South Geelong and Waurn Ponds for the first time.
The South Geelong to Waurn Ponds Duplication will enable five trains each hour to run during peak times and three services per hour between the peaks for Marshall and Waurn Ponds. The timing of services will be communicated to passengers as part of a future timetable change on the Geelong Line.
Specific criteria that a Subcontractor must adhere to:
- Rail Industry Worker (RIW)
All people entering the work site must have a Rail Industry Worker ticket.
The Subcontractor must upload records of competency for each worker (licence, qualification, tickets, verification of competency) to the Rail Industry Worker (RIW) website (www.railindustryworker.com.au) prior to site inductions being booked.
Targets subcontractors and suppliers will need to adhere to:
It is requirement of each contractor working on the South Geelong to Waurn Ponds Duplication to contribute to meeting the State Government's Social Procurement targets to spend 3% of Contract value with the following:
- Aboriginal businesses certified with Kinaway and/or Supply Nation.
- Social Enterprises certified with Social Traders.
Social Procurement will be a key focus through the tender process. Subcontractors and Suppliers will be required to work with Djilang Alliance and our Social Procurement team to identify Social Procurement opportunities across their supply chain.
The Victorian Government and the Djilang Alliance are committed to creating local place-based employment opportunities for priority jobseekers.
It is a requirement of each contractor working on the South Geelong to Waurn Ponds Duplication to contribute to meeting the State Government's Workforce Development Requirements which include employment of:
- apprentices, trainees and cadets for 10% of total labour hours.
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people for 2.5% of total labour hours.
- Priority Jobseekers for 2.5% of total labour hours. Priority jobseekers include people that were unemployed or underemployed at the time of employment and are over the age of 45, a person with a disability, young people <25, newly arrived migrants, asylum seekers and refugees, veterans and their spouses, job seekers previously unemployed and/or registered with and employment service provider.
- women in apprenticeships and traineeships for 4% of total trainee/apprentice hours.
Djilang Alliance through our Workforce Development team will partner with subcontractors and supplier to identify employment opportunities for priority jobseekers within packages of work and provide the necessary support to achieving these targets.
Djilang Alliance is committed to local procurement.
It is a requirement of each contractor working on the South Geelong to Waurn Ponds Duplication to contribute to meeting the State Government's below Local Content targets:
- 97.69% project minimum local content
- 77.20% signalling minimum local content
Djilang Alliance will seek input from subcontractors and suppliers on how sustainability performance can be enhanced. Sustainability credentials and initiatives will be considered favourably during tender evaluation. A weighting will be applied to social, economic and environmental aspects during the bid evaluation; which will be considered together with the cost and technical aspects of the tender.
South Geelong to Waurn Ponds Duplication Industry Briefing
Click here to view our industry briefing presentation with Djilang Alliance for the South Geelong to Waurn Ponds Duplication Project.
- Recorded 4 August 2022
- The link also includes downloadable resources and speaker information
HOW TO REGISTER AN EXPRESSION OF INTEREST (EOI)
- To submit an EOI, companies must have an ICN Gateway company profile. Information on how to register your company on ICN Gateway is detailed below.
- This is an initial, generic EOI submission only. All companies who submit an EOI will be included in information presented to companies who are short listed to bid for this Project.
- The services, programmes and initiatives provided by ICN Victoria are aimed at complementing a company's existing Sales, Marketing and Business Development strategy and any EOI submitted should not be considered as an alternative to these activities.
ICN GATEWAY COMPANY REGISTRATION
- Click here to register your company profile on ICN Gateway.
- Support and assistance are available through the web links listed below.
- An ICN Gateway company profile that accurately and effectively summarises your company is critical to using the services of the ICN Group - please ensure that your company invests the time and energy required to represent your company in the most effective manner possible.
- Companies should ensure that the email notification functionality within their ICN Gateway company profile is activated to include an appropriate level of coverage to Information & Updates, Major Projects and Regional Opportunities.