Forensic Mental Health Expansion Project
Project at a glance
The Victorian Health Building Authority (VHBA) manages or assists in the development of capital projects to support the delivery of health, mental health, aged care and ambulance services on behalf of the Department of Health. This project is led and administered by the Victorian Health Building Authority in collaboration with Forensicare, Victoria’s specialist provider of forensic mental health services.
The Project seeks to provide an additional 82 forensic mental health beds on the TEH site by 2024, as part of delivering the Royal Commission into Victoria’s Mental Health System recommendation of providing 107 additional beds by the end of 2026.
The Forensic Mental Health Expansion Project Stage 1 will provide new and redeveloped infrastructure on the Thomas Embling Hospital (TEH) site in Fairfield, Victoria. This project is led and administered by the Victorian Health Building Authority in collaboration with Forensicare, Victoria’s specialist provider of forensic mental health services.
The Royal Commission into Victoria’s Mental Health System (RCVMHS) has made specific infrastructure recommendations relating to the expansion of forensic mental health beds at the TEH. The Victorian Government has committed to implementing all the recommendations of the Royal Commission and has committed $349.6 million for the planning and delivery of 82 new forensic mental health beds and supporting infrastructure.
Specifically, the Project involves delivery of the following scope:
- New Building C, a four-storey tower with 48 men’s medium secure beds comprising of three 16 bed rehabilitation extended care units.
- New Building F, a four-storey tower with 34 bed women’s precinct comprising of 6 low secure transition to community and extended care beds, 8 medium secure sub-acute beds, 8 medium secure rehabilitation extended care beds, 10 high secure beds as well as a 2 bed enhanced care unit.
- Refurbishment of some existing units within TEH as well as a new portable activities building for the existing low secure unit.
- Additional administration spaces to support the additional staff requirements
- Expansion of the existing gatehouse to enable access to the new medium secure precinct
- New back of house and infrastructure spaces as part of Building C to service the TEH campus
- Carparking to replace lost on-grade spaces and support the increased projected demand associated with the additional beds including but not limited to undercroft parking below Buildings C & F
All works except the refurbishments are due to be completed by mid-2024, with the refurbishments due to take place following these works and be completed in early 2025.
HOW TO REGISTER AN EXPRESSION OF INTEREST (EOI)
- To submit an EOI, companies must have an ICN Gateway company profile. Information on how to register your company on ICN Gateway is detailed below.
- This is an initial, generic EOI submission only. All companies who submit an EOI will be included in information presented to companies who are short listed to bid for this Project.
- The services, programmes and initiatives provided by ICN Victoria are aimed at complementing a company's existing Sales, Marketing and Business Development strategy and any EOI submitted should not be considered as an alternative to these activities.
ICN GATEWAY COMPANY REGISTRATION
- Click here to register your company profile on ICN Gateway.
- Support and assistance are available through the web links listed below.
- An ICN Gateway company profile that accurately and effectively summarises your company is critical to using the services of the ICN Group - please ensure that your company invests the time and energy required to represent your company in the most effective manner possible.
- Companies should ensure that the email notification functionality within their ICN Gateway company profile is activated to include an appropriate level of coverage to Information & Updates, Major Projects and Regional Opportunities.