Sydney Metro Western Sydney Airport - Station Boxes and Tunnelling Works
Project at a glance
Senior Consultant | Sydney and Sydney Surrounds
Sydney Metro is Australia’s biggest public transport project. Services between Rouse Hill and Chatswood started in May 2019 on the new stand-alone metro railway system. Sydney Metro includes the Metro Northwest Line (which opened in May 2019), Sydney Metro City & Southwest (which is currently under construction and due to open in 2024), Sydney Metro West (with construction due to start in late 2021) and Sydney Metro - Western Sydney Airport. Potential future extensions to Schofields/Tallawong in Rouse Hill in the north and to Macarthur in the south are under consideration and are being safeguarded but do not form part of the project.
Key features of the project
The project involves the construction and operation of a metro rail line, approx. 23 kilometres in length, between the T1 Western Line at St Marys in the north and the Aerotropolis Core in the south.
Station locations include:
* A new metro station connecting to, and providing interchange with, the T1 Western Line
rail at St Marys
* Two new metro stations between the T1 Western Line and Western Sydney International Airport;
one at Orchard Hills and one at Luddenham within the Northern Gateway precinct
* Two new metro stations within the Western Sydney International Airport site; one at the Airport
terminal and one at the Airport business park
* One new metro station within the Aerotropolis Core precinct, south of Western Sydney International Airport.
The alignment of the new metro railway line will:
* Include a combination of tunnel, surface, and viaduct sections
* Interface with key roads including the Great Western Highway, M4 Western Motorway, Luddenham Road, the future M12 Motorway, Badgerys Creek Road and Elizabeth Drive, as well as key utilities such as the Warragamba pipeline
* Include crossings of Blaxland Creek and Cosgroves Creek.
* Include a stabling & maintenance facility at Orchard Hills and operational control centre
* Include intermediate service facilities at Claremont Meadows & Bringelly
Sydney Metro – Western Sydney Airport is broken into the following packages:
- Enabling works (site investigation, demolition works, utility relocations, utility supplies to sites, transport network adjustments, rail corridor works etc.)
- Main construction works including:
* Tunnelling and station box works (SBT Works) – Awarded to CPB Contractors Pty Ltd & Ghella (CPBG JV)
* Corridor and associated works (bridge and viaduct structures)
* Station fit outs and associated works
* Ancillary facilities and associated works
- Rail systems fit-out
- Finishing works and testing and commissioning.
The Station Boxes and Tunnelling (SBT) Project entails all design and construction associated with the delivery of twin metro railway tunnels and excavations of station boxes, including, amongst other things:
• Demolition, utility relocation, site remediation and decontamination works;
• Temporary utility connections;
• Work associated with the construction of twin bored tunnels;
• Concrete invert backfill within the bored tunnels;
• Work associated with the construction of cross-passages between the running tunnels;
• Mined stub tunnels;
• Dive excavation and temporary ground support retention;
• Permanent CIS concrete structure within service shafts;
• Manufacture, testing, transportation and installation of precast segments ;
• All safety systems, temporary ventilation systems;
• Safe, secure personnel access/egress into all underground spaces;
• Hoardings, fencing
• Delivery of all site facilities
Further information on the project is available at sydneymetro.info/westernsydneyairportline.
How to register an Expression of Interest (EOI)
- Work Packages currently available to submit an EOI for are listed in the 'Work Packages' tab above. Refer to the EOI User Guide below for instructions and assistance to submit an EOI.
- To submit an initial EOI for the work packages, companies must have an ICN Gateway company profile. Information on how to register your company on ICN Gateway is detailed below.
ICN Gateway Company Registration
- Click here to register your company profile on ICN Gateway.
- Support and assistance is available through the web links listed below.
- Your company summary and company description are used to assess your ability to complete projects when you lodge an EOI - please ensure that your company invests the time and energy required to represent your company in the most effective manner possible.
Sydney Metro is Australia's biggest public transport project. In 2024, Sydney will have 31 metro railway stations and a 66km standalone metro railway system, revolutionising the way Australia's biggest city travels. By the end of the decade, the network will be expanded to include 46 stations and more than 113 kms of world-class metro for Sydney.
Metro means a new generation of world-class fast, safe and reliable trains easily connecting customers to where they want to go. Customers don’t need timetables – they just turn up and go.