Botany Rail Duplication
Project at a glance
Senior Consultant | Sydney and Sydney Surrounds
The Port Botany Rail Duplication (including Cabramatta Loop) project comprises the duplication of the remaining single-track section of the Port Botany Rail Line and delivery of a new passing loop on the Southern Sydney Freight Line. The Project aims to provide the capacity to meet predicted growth in the containerised freight task and support rail services between Port Botany and metropolitan freight intermodal terminals.
John Holland has been awarded the contract to design and construct the Botany Rail Duplication project.
The project includes the following key features:
- Track duplication – constructing a new track predominantly within the rail corridor for a distance of about three kilometres
- Track realignment and upgrading – moving some sections of track sideways (slewing) and upgrading some sections of track to improve the alignment of both tracks and minimise impacts to adjoining land uses
- New crossovers – constructing new rail crossovers to maintain and improve access at two locations (totalling four new crossovers)
- Bridge works – constructing new bridge structures at Mill Stream, Southern Cross Drive, O’Riordan Street and Robey Street (adjacent to the existing bridges), and re-constructing the existing bridge structures at Robey Street and O’Riordan Street
- Embankment/retaining structures – construction of a new embankment and retaining structures adjacent to Qantas Drive between Robey and O’Riordan streets and a new embankment between the Mill Stream and Botany Road bridges.
Ancillary work includes bi-directional signalling upgrades, drainage work and protecting/relocating utilities.
More information about the project is available at https://artc_botanyandcabramattaprojects.icn.org.au and http://botanyduplication.com.au.
How to register an Expression of Interest (EOI)
- Work packages currently available to submit an EOI for are listed in the 'Work Packages' tab above. Refer to the 'EOI User Guide' below for instructions and assistance to submit an EOI.
- To submit an initial EOI for the work packages, companies must have an ICN Gateway company profile. Information on how to register your company on ICN Gateway is detailed below.
ICN Gateway Company Registration
- Click here to register your company profile on ICN Gateway.
- Support and assistance are available through the document 'Creating an ICN Gateway company profile' below.
- Your company summary and company description are used to assess your ability to complete projects when you lodge an EOI - Please ensure that your company invests the time and energy required to represent your company in the most effective manner possible.
The Project’s objectives are to:- Increase rail capacity to meet forecast demand for freight services;
- Accommodate port shuttle services to move more containers in and out of the port via rail;
- Reduce road congestion, heavy vehicle road safety incidents, and road maintenance expenditure;
- Reduce rail congestion between Port Botany and intermodals;
- Provide operational flexibility flowing from reduced congestion and increased capacity;
- Improve service reliability for freight rail customers through enhanced train movements and connectivity; and
- Reduce air pollution, greenhouse gas emissions and noise from diversion of freight from road.