Goodwood Road is one of southern Adelaide’s major north-south arterial routes, with Springbank Road and Daws Road providing a key east-west connection. The current staggered T-junction is separated laterally by approximately 120 metres. This off-set configuration slows the flow of traffic in both the north-south and east-west directions, creating congestion and causing safety risks.
With an Annual Average Daily Traffic (AADT) of approximately 60,000 vehicles through the intersection, it is currently operating at capacity in both the AM and PM peak periods. Historical crash data indicates 50 crashes over the last five years (2014 - 2018 inclusive), resulting in 20 casualty crashes.
In response to these identified problems the State Government announced a new upgrade of the Springbank Road / Daws Road / Goodwood Road intersection in May 2019. The upgrade will be based on a new four way intersection with a total funding of $60million.The Federal Government has committed $17.5million of this funding. The final funding allocation within the three years for total project cost of $60 million will include funding from within DPTI’s capital allocations.
Located approximately 8 kilometres south of the Adelaide CBD (see Figure 1 below), the proposed upgrade will alleviate congestion, improve safety, improve transport efficiency and provide important economic development of the state, during and post-construction of the Darlington Upgrade Project and North-South Corridor. It also will provide active travel by implementing continuous cycle lanes through the intersection.
The proposed upgrade will involve constructing a realigned four way intersection at the staggered T-junctions of Goodwood Road, Springbank Road and Daws Road. The upgrade scope includes:
- Road widening on Goodwood Road to provide three through lanes southbound and a controlled left turn lane into Springbank Road.
- Road widening on Goodwood Road to provide dual right turn lanes onto Daws Road.
- Road realignment on Daws Road to provide two through lanes onto Springbank Road, and a controlled left turn onto Goodwood Road (northbound).
- Road realignment on Daws Road to provide dual right turn lanes onto Goodwood Road (southbound).
- Road realignment on Springbank Road to provide two through lanes onto Daws Road, and dual right turn lanes onto Goodwood Road.
- Road realignment on Springbank Road to provide dual controlled left turn lanes onto Goodwood Road (southbound).
- Extension of dual right turn lanes from Goodwood Road into Springbank Road.
- Road widening on Goodwood Road to allow for an additional through lane northbound, and a controlled left turn lane onto Daws Road.
- Dedicated bicycle lanes on the approaches of the intersection and through the intersection.
- New kerb and gutter where road realignment and widening is occurring.
- New and upgraded traffic signals and road lighting.
- Upgraded pedestrian crossings within the intersection, including new pedestrian crossing and lights.
- New and upgraded pedestrian ramps and footpaths around the intersection.
Further information is available at https://dpti.sa.gov.au/infrastructure/road_projects/springbank_and_daws_road_realignment
Business are encouraged to register their interest in the project via applicable works package below.SHOW LESS