The objective of the Aquila Project (Project) is to convert the previous Aquila bord and pillar mine located at the Capcoal mining complex in Central Queensland’s Bowen Basin, to a longwall operation. The Project aims to deliver a medium seam longwall operation targeting the Aquila and Aquila Lower coal seams to produce hard coking coal.
The scope of the Project includes:
- Partial procurement, installation and commissioning of a longwall system;
- Modification of the existing Grasstree development system to support longwall operations;
- Modification of the existing Grasstree mobile equipment fleet to suit the lower, medium height Aquila seam;
- Removal of existing underground conveyor system and replace with the higher capacity, modified Grasstree conveyor system;
- Construction of a surface material handling system that loads onto the existing Grasstree ROM reclaim stockpile and pushout pad; and
- Limited upgrade to the site services including electrical, controls and water systems to support the new longwall operations.
Below is the URL to the Anglo American mining website:
The project will be delivered using an owner’s team responsible for performing all the procurement related functions.
The Project implementation commenced in September 2019 and continue through until January 2022.