The objective of the Aquila Project (Project) is to convert the previous Aquila bord and pillar mine located at the Capcoal mining complex in Central Queensland’s Bowen Basin, to a longwall operation. The Project aims to deliver a medium seam longwall operation targeting the Aquila and Aquila Lower coal seams to produce hard coking coal.
The scope of the Project includes:
- Partial procurement, installation and commissioning of a longwall system;
- Modification of the existing Grasstree development system to support longwall operations;
- Modification of the existing Grasstree mobile equipment fleet to suit the lower, medium height Aquila seam;
- Removal of existing underground conveyor system and replace with the higher capacity, modified Grasstree conveyor system;
- Construction of a surface material handling system that loads onto the existing Grasstree ROM reclaim stockpile and pushout pad; and
- Limited upgrade to the site services including electrical, controls and water systems to support the new longwall operations.
The project will be delivered using an owner’s team responsible for performing all the procurement related functions.
The Project implementation commenced in September 2019 and continue through until January 2022.