Spark - North East Link
Project at a glance
Spark is a multi-national consortium featuring world leading construction companies and one of the largest road and tunnel operators in Australia and has awarded the contract to build the North East Link Primary Package PPP. The Spark consortium consists of WeBuild, GS Engineering and Construction, CPB Contractors, China Construction Oceania, Ventia, Capella Capital, John Laing Investments, DIF and Pacific Partnerships.
The North East Link (NEL) is Victoria's largest road project and represents the 'missing link' in Melbourne's transport network. The project will connect the M80 with the Eastern Freeway linking key growth areas in the north and south-east. It includes upgrades to the Eastern Freeway, a dedicated Doncaster Busway, more than 25 kilometres of new and upgraded cycling and walking paths, and improvements to community facilities including local sports grounds.
The $11.1 billion major works contract will be delivered in an Australian first four-partner public-private-partnership with an incentivised target cost (ITC) - a fundamentally more collaborative contract where risk and reward are shared. The scope of the PPP includes:
In response to community feedback, the North East Link Tunnels design includes:
- longer 6.5km tunnels to Watsonia
- simpler interchanges at Lower Plenty Road and Manningham Road
- 5 MCGs of parklands along Banyule Creek at Borlase Reserve
- new 2km tree-lined boulevard for Greensborough Road
- 2 hectare Yarra Link green bridge over Bulleen Road
- 3 new wetlands along the Yarra River and Koonung Creek in Bulleen and Balwyn North.
- The construction and commissioning of the twin, three lane, and 6.5 kilometre tunnels.
- The long-term operation and maintenance of the entire North East Link corridor over a 25-year contract.
Construction begun in 2022 and is expected to be completed in 2028, alongside other North East Link packages.
Spark is committed to working with local industry to deliver the NEL. As part of this commitment, Spark will provide full, fair and reasonable opportunity for local industry participation across the entire supply chain.
Spark is seeking to engage with local suppliers and contractors that can demonstrate safety, quality, professionalism and respect for community and environment. Spark is also keen to explore opportunities to develop capacity and capability across the supply chain and leverage the know-how and expertise of local industry.
Spark encourages local suppliers, contractors and social enterprises to register Expressions of Interest where their goods and services align with its requirements for activities and products. The list below is not exhaustive and Spark welcomes Expressions of Interest from businesses with other goods and services.
Spark will work with all qualified suppliers and contractors to identify opportunities for them to contribute to the NEL.
Activities and products include:
- Road and bridge construction
- Walking and cycling path construction
- Demolition and waste disposal
- Traffic management
- Earth moving
- Road maintenance
- Pavement repair
- Construction lighting
- Street lighting poles
- Line marking
- Precast beams
- Steel reinforcement
- Bridge bearings
- Demountable offices and office furniture
- Fencing, bollards and guard rails
- Pipe and hose
- Drainage pits and lids
- Signal masts
- Road furniture
- Printing (hardware and consumables)
- Rubbish removal (including recycling for purpose)
- Safety gear
- Landscaping and gardening
- Labour hire
- Occupational, health & safety
HOW TO REGISTER AN EXPRESSION OF INTEREST (EOI)
- Work Packages currently available to submit an EOI for are listed below.
- To submit an initial EOI for the Work Packages listed, companies must have an ICN Gateway company profile. Information on how to register your company on ICN Gateway is detailed below.
- The Spark Consortium will be provided with your detailed company profile outlining capabilities to supply into the project. It will then be the responsibility of the consortium to make direct contact with your company.
- The services, programmes and initiatives provided by ICN Victoria are aimed at complimenting a company's existing Sales, Marketing and Business Development strategy and any EOI submitted should not be considered as an alternative to these activities.
ICN GATEWAY COMPANY REGISTRATION
- Click here to register your company profile on ICN Gateway.
- Support and assistance are available through the web links listed below.
- An ICN Gateway company profile that accurately and effectively summarises your company is critical to using the services of the ICN network - please ensure that your company invests the time and energy required to represent your company in the most effective manner possible.
- Companies should ensure that the email notification functionality within their ICN Gateway company profile is activated to include an appropriate level of coverage to ICN News & Updates, Major Projects and Regional Opportunities.
(1) ICN Gateway Setup Wizard
(2) ICN Gateway User Guide