Inland Rail - Narrabri to North Star - Phase 1
About Inland Rail
Inland Rail is a 1,700km fast freight backbone that will transform how we move goods around Australia by providing transit times of less than 24 hours between Melbourne and Brisbane.
It will better link businesses, manufacturers and producers to national and global markets and generate new opportunities for industries and regions.
Comprising 13 individual projects, Inland Rail is the largest freight rail infrastructure project in Australia and will enable safer, less congested highways, fewer carbon emissions, cheaper freight costs and new economic opportunities for our regions.
Inland Rail is a shot in the arm for Australia’s economy, generating $16b in economic benefits and over 16,000 direct and indirect jobs.
The Australian Government selected the Australian Rail Track Corporation (ARTC) to deliver Inland Rail, in partnership with the private sector.
Narrabri to North Star project
The Narrabri to North Star project involves an upgrade to approximately 186km of track within the existing rail corridor and construction of approximately 2.3km of a new rail corridor.
The works are required to accommodate the operation of 1,800m-long double-stacked freight trains. This project crosses the Local Government Areas of Gwydir, Narrabri and Moree Plains.
The works are divided into two packages:
• 2600-0018 N2NS Phase 1 Works Package
• 2600-0019 N2NS Phase 2 Structures Package
For more information on the Narrabri to North Star project visit https://inlandrail.artc.com.au/N2NS.
Narrabri to North Star - Phase 1 Works Package
Narrabri to North Star - Phase 1 is a brownfield section and involves upgrading works within the existing ARTC rail corridor
About Trans4M Rail
Trans4m Rail, a joint venture between John Holland and SEE Civil, have been awarded the contract to upgrade more than 170 kilometres of existing railway track between Narrabri and North Star – known as N2NS Phase 1.
Description of works involved
• Upgrading approximately 171km of track and formation within the existing rail corridor
• Constructing 2 new road over rail bridges at Moree (Jones Ave) and Bellata (Newell Highway)
• Constructing 5 new crossing loops with associated maintenance sidings
• Constructing 220 rail culverts, 98 road culverts, 3 irrigation crossings
• Constructing 8 under - bridges,1 of which are major super-T structure to 30TAL
• Upgrading, relocating or consolidating 76 level crossings including 5 pedestrian crossings
• Relocating utilities and mitigating impacts at 470 locations
• Modifying Moree and Narrabri stations.
• Contract award - Q4 2020 (complete)
• Trans4m Rail mobilisation to site - Q1 2021 to Q3 2023 inclusive
Engaging local and Indigenous suppliers
Trans4m Rail is committed to creating sustainable economic development and employment opportunities for local and Indigenous businesses and individuals by maximising their opportunities to participate in the project.
Trans4m Rail will provide full, fair and reasonable opportunity for capable and competitive local and Indigenous businesses and social enterprises to compete for work or participate in supply chains associated with Inland Rail.
Compliance with the Code for the Tendering and Performance of Building Work 2016
The Code for the Tendering and Performance of Building Work 2016 (the Code) applies to the building work associated with this project. By submitting an expression of interest in, or tender for, this project, you will become subject to the Code.
Potential subcontractors shall be required to complete a declaration of compliance before a code covered entity invites expression of interest or tenders or enters into a subcontract for Commonwealth-Funded Building Work.
Registration of Interest (ROI) opportunities
The Work Packages section below contains a list of indicative opportunities and may not be reflective of actual packages issued for tender pending assessment of market capability and project requirements.
Businesses interested in supplying to the project as subcontractors, suppliers or equipment providers are encouraged to register their interest against the applicable Work Package/s.
Registrants should note:
• A complete, up-to-date and accurate ICN Gateway company profile is required in order to register interest. Click here to create a company profile on ICN Gateway.
• This is an initial ROI to supply to the Narrabri to North Star - Phase 1 project.
• Incomplete registrations may not be considered. Information on how to create a company profile or submit a registration of interest on ICN Gateway is provided below (refer to User Guides available in the ‘Project Documents’ section).
• All ROIs are provided to Trans4M Rail for their information.
• Trans4M Rail have no contractual or other legal obligation to registrants arising out of the ROI process with respect to the consideration, evaluation, acceptance or rejection of any registration of interest, or the failure to consider, evaluate or accept any registration of interest.
• Services, programs and initiatives provided by ICN are designed to complement a company’s existing sales, marketing and business development strategy and any ROI submitted should not be considered an alternative to these activities.
It is important that businesses registering their interest are aware that their registration does not guarantee that they will progress further in any procurement processes. Trans4M Rail have broad discretion to suspend, vary or terminate procurement processes of Narrabri to North Star - Phase 1, decline to consider or review any ROI or negotiate with and enter into a contract with any other party for the performance of a Works Package.
ICN Gateway company profile
Your ICN Gateway company profile and any registrations of interest you submit are used to assess your organisation's ability to complete projects.
Click here to create a new company profile or to login to your existing company profile.
Please ensure your business invests the time and energy required to represent itself in the most effective manner possible when completing and/or updating your company profile.
Trans4M Rail strongly encourages suppliers to contact ICN in the first instance to gain an understanding of the ROI process and development programs, such as their ICN Gateway Profile Improvement Workshops.
Support and assistance are available through the organisation listed below.
Business Connect services delivered by Nortec Small Business Solutions - call 1800 667 832 to arrange.
Project at a glance
Regional Manager, Central West
Inland Rail is transforming how everyday goods are moved around our vast country. It will complete the backbone of the national freight network by providing transit times of less than 24 hours for freight trains between Melbourne and Brisbane via regional Victoria, New South Wales and Queensland.
The Tottenham to Albury section of Inland Rail will upgrade 305km of existing rail corridor between metropolitan Melbourne and the Victoria-NSW border at Albury-Wodonga.
Due to its scale and complexity, this project is broken into two stages:
- Stage One: Beveridge to Albury
- Stage Two: Metropolitan Melbourne
The Gowrie to Kagaru section of Inland Rail in Queensland will be designed, built, managed and financed through a Public Private Partnership (PPP).
The Gowrie to Kagaru section is divided into three separate projects:
- Gowrie to Helidon
- Helidon to Calvert
- Calvert to Kagaru