About Inland Rail
Inland Rail is transforming how everyday goods are moved around our vast country. It will complete the backbone of the national freight network by providing transit times of less than 24 hours for freight trains between Melbourne and Brisbane via regional Victoria, New South Wales and Queensland.
Creating the connectivity to shift more of Australia’s freight from road to rail, Inland Rail will enable safer, less congested highways, fewer carbon emissions, cheaper freight costs and new economic opportunities for our regions.
The largest infrastructure project ever delivered in Australia spanning 1,700km, Inland Rail is a shot in the arm for Australia’s economy, generating $16b in economic benefits and over 16,000 direct and indirect jobs.
The Australian Government selected the Australian Rail Track Corporation (ARTC) to deliver Inland Rail, in partnership with the private sector. Construction started in late-2018 and the project is expected to be operational in 2026.
Narrabri to North Star project
The Narrabri to North Star project involves an upgrade to approximately 186km of track within the existing rail corridor and construction of approximately 2.3km of a new rail corridor.
The works are required to accommodate the operation of 1,800m-long double-stacked freight trains. This project crosses the three Local Government Areas of Gwydir, Narrabri and Moree Plains.
The works are divided into two packages:
- 2600-0018 N2NS Phase 1 Works Package
- 2600-0019 N2NS Phase 2 Structures Package
For more information on the Narrabri to North Star project visit https://inlandrail.artc.com.au/N2NS.
Narrabri to North Star – Phase 1 Works package
Narrabri to North Star – Phase 1 is a brownfield section and involves upgrading works within the existing ARTC rail corridor.
Description of works involved
- Upgrading approximately 171km of track and formation within the existing rail corridor
- Constructing 2 new road over rail bridges at Moree (Jones Ave) and Bellata (Newell Highway)
- Constructing 5 new crossing loops with associated maintenance sidings
- Constructing 220 rail culverts, 98 road culverts, 3 irrigation crossings
- Constructing 8 under - bridges,1 of which are major super-T structure to 30TAL
- Upgrading, relocating or consolidating 76 level crossings including 5 pedestrian crossings
- Relocating utilities and mitigating impacts at 470 locations
- Modifying Moree and Narrabri stations.
- Expression of Interest (EOI) documents for Principal Contractor released - 4 Oct 2019
- Industry Briefings hosted in Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne - 11, 14 and 17 Oct 2019
- EOI closed - 1 Nov 2019
- Finalisation of the shortlisted contractors and upload of Request for Tender (RFT) plus all documentation to TenderLink - 22 Nov 2019
- RFT documents released to shortlisted contractors - 5 Dec 2019
- RFT closes - April 2020
- Contract awarded - Q3, 2020
- Site mobilisation - Q4, 2020
ARTC announced the shortlisting of three construction firms to deliver the main works contract on 3 December 2019. The proponents include:
- Lendlease Engineering Pty Ltd
- RailFirst (a Downer EDI and Seymour Whyte joint venture)
- Trans4m Rail (a Rhomberg Rail Australia, John Holland and SEE Civil joint venture)
ARTC is on schedule to award a construction contract for Narrabri to North Star - Phase 1 during Q3, 2020.
Engaging local and Indigenous suppliers
ARTC is committed to creating sustainable economic development and employment opportunities for local and Indigenous businesses and individuals by maximising their opportunities to participate in the project.
ARTC (and its contractors) will provide full, fair and reasonable opportunity for capable and competitive local and Indigenous businesses and social enterprises to compete for work or participate in supply chains associated with Inland Rail.
Compliance with the Code for the Tendering and Performance of Building Work 2016
The Code for the Tendering and Performance of Building Work 2016 applies to the building work associated with this project. By submitting an expression of interest in, or tender for, this project, you will become subject to the Code for the Tendering and Performance of Building Work 2016.
Potential subcontractors shall be required to complete a declaration of compliance before a code covered entity invites expression of interest or tenders or enters into a subcontract for Commonwealth-Funded Building Work.
Registration of Interest (ROI) opportunities
The Work Packages section below contains a list of indicative opportunities produced by ARTC and may not be an accurate reflection of the actual opportunities offered by the Narrabri to North Star – Phase 1 Principal Contractor.
Businesses interested in supplying to the project as subcontractors, suppliers and equipment providers are encouraged to register their interest against the applicable Work Package/s listed below.
Suppliers should note:
- This is an initial ROI to supply to the project
- A complete, up-to-date and accurate ICN Gateway company profile is required in order to register interest
- Incomplete registrations may not be considered. Information on how to register your business or submit an expression of interest on ICN Gateway is provided below
- All ROIs are provided to Proponents invited to tender on Narrabri to North Star – Phase 1 and may also be included in a project-specific supply market analysis prepared by the Industry Capability Network (ICN)
- ARTC, ICN and the Narrabri to North Star – Phase 1 Principal Contractor have no contractual or other legal obligation to the suppliers arising out of the ROI process with respect to the consideration, evaluation, acceptance or rejection of any registration of interest, or the failure to consider, evaluate or accept any registration of interest.
It is important that businesses registering their interest are aware that their registration does not guarantee that they will progress further in any procurement processes. ARTC and the Narrabri to North Star - Phase 1 Principal Contractor have broad discretion to suspend, vary or terminate the procurement process of Narrabri to North Star – Phase 1, decline to consider or review any ROI or negotiate with and enter into a contract with any other party for the performance of a Works Package.
To assist with ICN Gateway company registration
Register a new company profile on ICN Gateway here.
Your company profile on ICN Gateway is used to assess your ability to complete projects. Please ensure your business invests the time and energy required to represent itself in the most effective manner possible when completing your company profile.
Support and assistance are available through the organisations listed below.
Details for supplier capability development initiatives, including workshops to assist businesses to develop business capability statements and respond to tenders are communicated on this ICN Gateway project page (refer to Project Documents for more information).
Industry Capability Network (ICN) New South Wales
ARTC strongly encourages suppliers to contact ICN in the first instance to gain an understanding of the ROI process and development programs, such as their ICN Gateway Profile Improvement workshops.