Momentum Trains will design, build, finance and maintain the 117 new regional rail carriages. The project includes the construction of a new train maintenance facility in Dubbo, which will contribute to the regional economy and help create sustainable job opportunities and skills.
CAF is responsible for the supply of new passenger intercity and regional trains. The trains will be Diesel Electric Multiple Units (DEMU).
The new fleet will consist of 117 carriages which will form 29 new trains; 10 regional intercity trains (3 car sets), 9 short regional trains (3 car sets) and 10 long regional trains (6 car sets).
The new fleet will be predominately manufactured in Spain, with the final fit out of the fleet, Train Completion Work (TCW) taking place in Dubbo. The TCW and testing and commissioning activities are expected to commence in early 2022 and will continue until 2024.
It is expected the first new trains will commence running from 2023, with the full fleet coming into service progressively.
Construction of New Dubbo Train Maintenance Facility
CPB Contractors have been engaged by CAF to design and construct a new train maintenance facility in Dubbo. The construction work will include utility diversions, earthworks, pavements and drainage, steel structures and roofing and cladding for the main build of the Maintenance Facility, plus fit out works.
External to the main building, there will be additional facilities which include a wheel lathe and train wash building, an administration building, storage areas and tracks internal and external to the building. A new mainline track will be built on the northern side of the facility. Rail works include ballast, sleeper and rail install/adjusting/tamping, signaling and commissioning.
The new Maintenance Facility construction activity is expected to commence in 2020 and take approximately 30 months to complete.
Maintenance of the New Regional Rail Fleet
UGL will perform all new regional rail fleet asset management and maintenance activities for the fleet of 117 rail cars and training simulators at the maintenance facility in Dubbo for a period of 15 years with options to extend.
Maintenance facility operations are estimated to commence in 2022.
Details for Expression of Interest (EOI) processes and procurement packages will be made available through the relevant consortium partner’s ICN pages as the project progresses. Please use the links below to view procurement opportunities each of these ICN pages:
How to register an Expression of Interest
- This is an initial, general EOI submission and Work Packages currently available to submit an EOI for are listed below.
- Shortlisted SMEs will be invited to tender Work Packages as appropriate.
- To submit an initial EOI for the Work Packages, companies must have an ICN Gateway profile. Information on how to register your company on ICN Gateway is detailed below.
ICN Gateway Company Registration
- Click here to register your company profile on ICN Gateway.
- Support and assistance is available through the web links listed and attached user guide.
- Your company summary, description and other fields are used to assess your ability to complete projects when you lodge an EOI. Please ensure that your company invests the time and energy required to represent your company in the most effective manner possible.