Melbourne Airport Rail is a transformational public transport project connecting Melbourne Airport to Victoria’s regional and metropolitan train network for the first time.
Following detailed analysis, the Australian and Victorian Governments have agreed on a solution that maximises the benefits of Melbourne Airport Rail for all Victorians by delivering the best connections to the state’s regional and metropolitan rail network.
Melbourne Airport Rail will run on dedicated, new tracks from a new premium station at Melbourne Airport through to Sunshine Station, where it will then travel through the Metro Tunnel into the heart of the CBD before continuing on to the Cranbourne and Pakenham lines.
This solution will provide passengers with a 10-minute turn-up-and-go service from Melbourne Airport and an under 30-minute continuous journey into the CBD, with trains stopping at Sunshine to connect to the key regional centres of Geelong, Ballarat and Bendigo. Gippsland passengers need only change trains once between Pakenham and Caulfield to access airport services.
Melbourne Airport Rail will use the new fleet of High Capacity Metro Trains (HCMTs). The HCMTs will be the most modern, highest capacity and passenger friendly trains operating on the Victorian network with more carriages, more space, better accessibility features and more hand-holds than existing trains.
Thirty (30) stations in the city and along the Cranbourne and Pakenham lines – Melbourne’s busiest – will have direct access to Melbourne Airport without needing to change trains. Passengers on all other metropolitan lines are only one interchange away from the airport.
The Victorian and Australian governments have committed $5 billion each in funding. Detailed planning and development work is currently underway, which will inform more detailed cost estimates.
Significant progress has already been made on planning and development behind the scenes, including extensive geotechnical studies and site investigations. Work in this space will continue in consultation with key stakeholders.
Melbourne Airport Rail will support up to 8000 jobs during construction.
The solution via the Metro Tunnel, which is already under construction, provides the Australian and Victorian governments with greater certainty on costs and delivery time, ensuring the benefits of this transformational project are delivered to Victorians as quickly and efficiently as possible.
The minimum level of local content set for this project is awaiting final Ministerial approval.
Construction will begin in 2022 with a target completion date for Melbourne Airport Rail of 2029, subject to relevant Victorian and Federal planning, environment and other government approvals.
For further information, please head to the Rail Project Victoria website.
HOW TO REGISTER AN EXPRESSION OF INTEREST (EOI)
- To submit an initial EOI, companies must have an ICN Gateway company profile. Information on how to register your company on ICN Gateway is detailed below.
- This is an initial, generic EOI submission only. All companies who submit an EOI will be included in information presented to Construction Companies who are shortlisted to bid for this Project.
- The services, programmes and initiatives provided by ICN Victoria are aimed at complementing a company's existing Sales, Marketing and Business Development strategy and any EOI submitted should not be considered as an alternative to these activities.
ICN GATEWAY COMPANY REGISTRATION
- Click here to register your company profile on ICN Gateway.
- Support and assistance is available through the web links listed below.
- An ICN Gateway company profile that accurately and effectively summarises your company is critical to using the services of the ICN network - please ensure that your company invests the time and energy required to represent your company in the most effective manner possible.
- Companies should ensure that the email notification functionality within their ICN Gateway company profile is activated to include an appropriate level of coverage to ICN Information and Updates, Major Projects and Regional Opportunities.