State Basketball Centre Redevelopment
Project at a glance
The Victorian State Government’s $132 million upgrade of the State Basketball Centre in Wantirna South will create one of Australia’s leading basketball facilities and support the continued growth of basketball and gymnastics at local and elite levels.
The expansion project was originally announced in 2018 with an $83 million contribution from the Victorian Government and $25 million from Knox City Council. An additional $22 million was provided in the 2020 – 21 Victorian State Budget and an additional $2 million from Knox City Council bringing the total budget to $132 million.
The project will deliver:
- 12 new indoor community courts for local basketball competitions for a total of 18 courts
- Comprehensive training facilities for high-performance basketball including WNBL and NBL teams
- New gymnastics facilities
- New administration facilities to support sports organisations and clubs, and,
- A town square space
The project will also provide new offices for Basketball Victoria, Knox Basketball Inc., Deakin Melbourne Boomers (WNBL), South East Melbourne Phoenix (NBL) and Basketball Australia.
The gymnastics centre at the State Basketball Centre will replace the existing facility in Ferntree Gully and address the large waiting lists for training and competition in the region.
The project responds to increasing demand for quality sporting facilities in the Knox area and will service everyone from local players to Australian representative athletes while transforming the broader precinct into the premier sports park for Melbourne’s South East. Victoria is Australia’s peerless leader in the sport of basketball, with participation numbers the equal of every other state combined and growing at 4% a year on average during the last decade.
Gymnastics is also experiencing substantial growth in Victoria with participation almost tripling during the last decade and over 80% of participants women and girls.
The State Basketball Centre currently welcomes almost 800,000 visitors annually and the project will increase visitation to more than 2 million people a year when complete.
ADCO Constructions has been appointed as the Design & Construct Contractor for the redevelopment.
The minimum level of local content set for this project is 90%.
Construction commenced in September 2021 and is anticipated to be completed in late 2023.
HOW TO REGISTER AN EXPRESSION OF INTEREST (EOI)
- To submit an initial EOI, companies must have an ICN Gateway company profile. Information on how to register your company on ICN Gateway is detailed below.
- This is an initial, generic EOI submission only. All companies who submit an EOI will be included in information presented to Construction Companies who are shortlisted to bid for this Project.
- The services, programmes and initiatives provided by ICN Victoria are aimed at complementing a company's existing Sales, Marketing and Business Development strategy and any EOI submitted should not be considered as an alternative to these activities.
ICN GATEWAY COMPANY REGISTRATION
- Click here to register your company profile on ICN Gateway.
- Support and assistance is available through the web links listed below.
- An ICN Gateway company profile that accurately and effectively summarises your company is critical to using the services of the ICN network - please ensure that your company invests the time and energy required to represent your company in the most effective manner possible.
- Companies should ensure that the email notification functionality within their ICN Gateway company profile is activated to include an appropriate level of coverage to ICN Information and Updates, Major Projects and Regional Opportunities.