The Northern Territory Government has set a vision for the Territory to become a world-class gas production, manufacturing and services hub by 2030. There are indications that the shale gas reservoirs in the Beetaloo Sub-basin are of global significance. Exploration will confirm the scale of our shale gas reserves.
Darwin already has two liquefied natural gas plants, plus a thriving service and supply industry, and explorers continue their efforts to prove up more reserves in offshore and onshore fields.
With the lifting of the moratorium on hydraulic fracturing in the Northern Territory, the Government committed to implement all of the recommendations set out in the Final Report from the Scientific Inquiry into Hydraulic Fracturing in the Northern Territory. Full implementation of the recommendations will be transformative, establishing a new benchmark for industry regulation.
The required effort to implement these reforms is significant and the Northern Territory Government will implement all recommendations, to ensure the success of a sustainable, productive onshore gas industry in the Northern Territory.
Strategic Oil and Gas Development supports the delivery of the Government’s five point gas strategy:
1. Expand Darwin’s world-scale LNG export hub;
2. Grow the Territory’s service and supply industry – including Shell’s Prelude floating LNG facility, Darwin is the service and supply hub for four LNG trains supplied by offshore fields;
3. Establish a gas based processing and manufacturing industry;
4. Grow local research, innovation and training capacity – Charles Darwin University is already conducting research relevant to the oil and gas industry, including the rate of metal erosion in tropical seas and advance high speed metal printing;
5. Contribute to Australia’s energy security.
The Territory Government is committed to building a productive onshore gas industry that protects our unique environment and delivers local jobs and opportunities for local businesses.
Ensure your business profile is up to date with ICN for access to opportunities to follow from this industry.