Western Harbour Tunnel Stage 2
Project at a glance
Senior Consultant | Sydney and Sydney Surrounds
The Western Harbour Tunnel Project (WHT) includes 6.5 kilometres of dual three-lane tunnels, stretching from the Warringah Freeway in Cammeray, across Sydney Harbour, to the WestConnex interchange at Rozelle, alleviating congestion on the Anzac Bridge, Sydney Harbour Bridge and Sydney Harbour Tunnel.
The Tunnel will be delivered in two packages:
- Stage 1 (delivered by John Holland CPB Contractors) includes excavation and partial civil fit out of the southern section of the tunnel between Rozelle and Birchgrove.
- Stage 2 (this project) includes the construction of approximately 4.8 kilometres of tunnels from under Birchgrove, through to the Warringah Freeway near North Sydney and tunnelling under Sydney Harbour. Stage 2 also includes the remaining civil fit out of the Stage 1 section, surface works at the North Sydney end of the tunnel, and mechanical and electrical fit out for the entire 6.5km length of the tunnel.
ACCIONA Construction Australia Pty Ltd has been appointed by Transport for NSW to deliver Stage 2 of the WHT Project.
ACCIONA is proposing that roadheaders will be used to excavate the tunnels on the northern side of Sydney Harbour between North Sydney and Balls Head. Two tunnel boring machines (TBMs) will be used to excavate the remainder of the tunnels from Birchgrove on the southern side of the Harbour through to a cavern at Balls Head where they will meet the northern roadheader tunnels.
The Stage 2 tunnelling works are outline in Figure 1 below. The orange lines indicate the TBM tunnels and the caverns where the TBMs will be launched and retrieved. While the light blue lines indicate the roadheader tunnels. The dark blue lines indicate the extent of Stage 1 works. Figure 2 demonstrates the tunnel vertical alignment from south at Birchgrove to north at Warrigah Freeway.
How to register an Expression of Interest (EOI)
- Work packages currently available to submit an EOI for are listed in the 'Work Packages' tab above. Refer to the EOI User Guide below for instructions and assistance to submit an EOI.
- To submit an initial EOI for the work packages, companies must have an ICN Gateway company profile. Information on how to register your company on ICN Gateway is detailed below.
ICN Gateway Company Registration
- Click here to register your company profile on ICN Gateway.
- Support and assistance is available through the web links listed below.
- Your company summary and company description are used to assess your ability to complete projects when you lodge an EOI - please ensure that your company invests the time and energy required to represent your company in the most effective manner possible.