Sydney Metro West - Eastern Tunnelling Package
Project at a glance
Senior Consultant | Sydney and Sydney Surrounds
Sydney Metro West is a new 24-kilometre metro line with stations confirmed at Westmead, Parramatta, Sydney Olympic Park, North Strathfield, Burwood North, Five Dock, The Bays, Pyrmont and Hunter Street in the Sydney CBD.
This new underground metro railway will double rail capacity between Greater Sydney and the Sydney CBD, with customers able to get from Parramatta to the Sydney CBD in around 20 minutes on a fast, safe and reliable driverless metro train.
Tunnelling work along the line is to be delivered under three packages:
- Western Tunnelling Package (Westmead to Sydney Olympic Park)
- Central Tunnelling Package (Sydney Olympic Park to The Bays)
- Eastern Tunnelling Package (The Bays to Sydney CBD)
John Holland, CPB Contractors (CPB) and Ghella joint venture (JCG JV) has been awarded the Eastern Tunnelling Package contract to deliver 3.5 kilometres of metro rail tunnels between The Bays and Hunter Street in the Sydney CBD.
This is the third and final major tunnelling package awarded on this project, and is the last piece in the tunnelling puzzle to build the 24-kilometre metro rail tunnels from Westmead to the Sydney CBD.
The Eastern Tunnelling contract includes:
- 3.5 kilometre tunnels from The Bays to the Sydney CBD;
- a tunnel boring machine (TBM) launch site at The Bays with two TBMs launched towards Hunter Street;
- a turnback cavern to the east of the new Hunter Street Station, allowing trains to turn around before travelling back towards Parramatta;
- excavation and civil works for two new cavern stations at Pyrmont and Hunter Street in Sydney CBD;
- more than 16,000 segments to line the tunnels.
Preparation for tunnelling on this final section of the line will start in 2023.
Further information on the project is available at sydneymetro.info/west, with an interactive portal (available here) to provide area-specific information to help you navigate the project.
How to register an Expression of Interest (EOI)
- Work packages currently available to submit an EOI are listed in the 'Work Packages' tab above. Refer to the EOI User Guide below for instructions and assistance to submit an EOI.
- To submit an initial EOI for the work packages, companies must have an ICN Gateway company profile. Information on how to register your company on ICN Gateway is detailed below.
ICN Gateway Company Registration
- Click here to register your company profile on ICN Gateway.
- Support and assistance is available through the web links listed below.
- Your company summary and company description are used to assess your ability to complete projects when you lodge an EOI - please ensure that your company invests the time and energy required to represent your company in the most effective manner possible.
The Gamuda Australia and Laing O'Rourke Consortium is delivering the Sydney Metro West - Western Tunnelling Package. The contract includes the delivery of twin nine kilometre tunnels between Sydney Olympic Park and Westmead, excavation of two new metro stations, a stabling and maintenance facility at Clyde and a precast facility at Eastern Creek.
Sydney Metro's Stations, Systems, Trains, Operations and Maintenance (SSTOM) project consist of 23 kilometres of rail between St Marys station and the Western Sydney Aerotropolis in Bringelly. Six stations will be built along this alignment, two of which will be located at the Western Sydney International Airport and Stabling Yard & Maintenance Facility (SMF). The line will be connected to the existing Sydney Trains suburban T1 Western Line at St Marys.
Sydney Metro is Australia's biggest public transport project. In 2024, Sydney will have 31 metro railway stations and a 66km standalone metro railway system, revolutionising the way Australia's biggest city travels. By the end of the decade, the network will be expanded to include 46 stations and more than 113 kms of world-class metro for Sydney.
Metro means a new generation of world-class fast, safe and reliable trains easily connecting customers to where they want to go. Customers don’t need timetables – they just turn up and go.
The delivery of Sydney Metro - Western Sydney Airport involves the design and construction of a metro rail line, around 23 kilometres in length between the T1 Western Line at St Marys in the north and the Aerotropolis Core in the south.
The delivery strategy for Sydney Metro - Western Sydney Airport entails the delivery of Sydney Metro Greater West including SBT - Station Boxes & Tunnelling (this Project), which be delivered via a design & construct contract for the tunnelling package, which includes twin bored tunnels and station excavation, service shaft excavation and some dive structure permanent works.
Acciona Ferrovial Joint Venture (AFJV) has been awarded the contract to design and construct the Sydney Metro West - Central Tunnelling Package (CTP). The contract includes the delivery of twin 11-kilometre tunnels, excavation of five station boxes at The Bays, Five Dock, Burwood North, North Strathfield and Sydney Olympic Park, and a precast facility at Eastern Creek. This new underground metro railway will double rail capacity between Parramatta and the Sydney CBD, with a target travel time of about 20 minutes between the two centres.