WestWind Energy - Golden Plains Wind Farm
Project at a glance
The Golden Plains Wind Farm is a state-significant project that will be Australia's largest wind farm to date and power more than 750,000 homes. This $3+ billion project is a landmark clean energy project for Victoria and Australia, at a scale never seen before in the Southern Hemisphere.
WestWind Energy has a successful track record working with investors and communities to develop wind farms in Australia. From green field site identification through planning and into construction and operation, we work efficiently and cooperatively with our project partners. WestWind Energy's mission is to be a driver of change towards a sustainable energy future for our planet. We do this through the development of cost-effective renewable energy generation and storage solutions refined through technical excellence, commitment to communities, and cohesive company values. In Australia, WestWind Energy has developed the Mt Mercer Wind Farm, Lal Lal Wind Farm and Moorabool Wind Farm.
TagEnergy is a clean energy enterprise for a new era in the renewable energy industry. It was formed in 2019 to accelerate the energy transition through creating competitive, clean power stations. Its operations span the renewables value chain, from development, financing, construction and asset management of wind, solar and storage projects, to commercialisation of its competitive energy. TagEnergy has developed a portfolio of more than 3GW in the UK, Portugal, Spain, France, and Australia, based on solar, wind and battery storage technologies, and are the sole equity investor of the Golden Plains Wind Farm.
ABOUT THE PROJECT
With an installed capacity of more than 1,330MW, the Golden Plains Wind Farm's turbines will be capable of producing more than 4,000 GWh of green energy annually. This sustainable energy will provide enough power for more than 765,000 homes - the equivalent of every home in regional Victoria. The Golden Plains Wind Farm will prevent more than four and a half million tonnes of carbon dioxide from being emitted to the atmosphere annually - equivalent to 3% of Victoria's total greenhouse emissions.
TheGolden Plains Wind Farm comprises 215 turbines across 16,739ha to the west, south and southwest of Rokewood, a small rural town in the Golden Plains Shire; approximately 60 km north west of Geelong. The project will also feature a 300MW battery storage facility that will add flexibility and stability to the grid. The Project has been through an extensive planning process including the state's highest level of environmental scrutiny, an EES (Environment Effects Statement). The Project has obtained state planning approval and has received its planning permit from the Victorian Minister for Planning.
An estimated 700 jobs will be created and maintained as part of the two-staged construction of the Golden Plains Wind Farm. Upon completion, 70 direct operational jobs are expected to be created ongoing. Golden Plains Wind Farm is committed to supporting our regional community and using our buying power to generate social value above and beyond the value of the goods, services or construction being procured.
In November 2022, financial close was reached for Stage One of the Project, allowing the 122 turbine, 756MW first stage of the development to commence, with sole equity investor TagEnergy securing financing, and entering into an Engineering, Procurement and Construction contract with global turbine supplier Vestas. AusNet Services will undertake the grid connection works, and a grid connection agreement is in place with the Australian Energy Market Operator (AEMO).
TagEnergy and WestWind Energy continue to develop the 500MW+ Stage Two and a 300MW battery to complete the Golden Plains Wind Farm.
For the latest project news and updates, please see the 'Project Documents' section below.
HOW TO REGISTER AN EXPRESSION OF INTEREST (EOI)
- Work Packages currently available to submit an EOI for are listed below.
- To submit an EOI for the Work Package listed, companies must have an ICN Gateway company profile. Information on how to register your company on ICN Gateway is detailed below.
- All companies who submit an EOI will be included in information presented toWestWind for this project.
- It will then be the responsibility ofWestWind to make direct contact with the company.
- The services, programmes and initiatives provided by ICN Victoria are aimed at complimenting a company's existing Sales, Marketing and Business Development strategy and any EOI submitted should not be considered as an alternative to these activities.
ICN GATEWAY COMPANY REGISTRATION
- Click hereto register your company profile on ICN Gateway.
- Support and assistance is available through the web links listed below.
- An ICN Gateway company profile that accurately and effectively summarises your company is critical to using the services of the ICN Group - please ensure that your company invests the time and energy required to represent your company in the most effective manner possible.
- Companies should ensure that the email notification functionality within their ICN Gateway company profile is activated to include an appropriate level of coverage to Major Projects and Regional Opportunities.