West Angelas Deposits C&D
EPCM: Rio Tinto has appointed Worley Services Pty Ltd as the projects Engineering, Procurement, Construction Manager (EPCM). All major agreements will be with Rio Tinto directly.
The expansion of the existing West Angelas iron ore mine site to provide a replacement source of iron ore to sustain current capacity and enable the continued operation of the existing processing plant, stockyards and rail loop that link the mine to the Rio Tinto Pilbara network.
The Project includes;
• Rom pad;
• New primary crushing facility and discharge conveyor;
• Modifications to existing processing infrastructure;
• HV re-fuelling facility (including overland diesel pipeline);
• Secondary crushing facility upgrade;
• New surge bin facility;
• Overland conveyor to existing processing plant (approx. 10km);
• Power supply upgrades;
• Dewatering and water infrastructure;
• Gas pipeline realignment (approx. 10km);
• New non-process infrastructure;
• Diversion drains and levees;
• Heavy and light vehicle road networks;
• Extending existing communications infrastructure; and
• Temporary construction accommodation.
It is a Rio Tinto requirement that standards utilised are either Australian or internationally recognised equivalents, unless otherwise justified due to specific technological, commercial, intellectual property or similar requirements. All requests for proposal (RFP), tender and contract document references will stipulate any standards requirements. In certain circumstances, materials specifications in RTPs may be met by using either Australian or internationally recognised standards. Otherwise it is the project’s intent that standards specified in RTPs do not seek to exclude Australian business from participating in Tier 1 supply opportunities.
Construction will provide employment for over 600 personnel (at peak).
Project at a glance
In the Pilbara region of Western Australia, Rio Tinto operates the world’s largest integrated portfolio of iron ore assets with industry-leading margins. Rio Tinto is well positioned to benefit from continuing demand across China and the developing world. The premium product suite, including our flagship Pilbara blend, drives strong customer relationships and is supported by technical and commercial marketing expertise. The business continues to be a proud leader in automated mining technologies.
The development of a new iron ore mine and associated rail infrastructure extending from the Koodaideri mine to Rio Tinto’s existing rail network