About the project proponent
Kalbar Operations Pty Ltd is an Australian company with expertise in mining and ore extraction.
In 2013 Kalbar acquired the Gippsland Mineral Sands Project from Rio Tinto which included the very large Glenaladale deposit. Since then, through extensive drilling campaigns and advanced analysis methods, Kalbar geologists have discovered and defined a new high value ore body in the eastern part of the Glenaladale deposit which is now the focus of the Fingerboards Project.
About the project
Located about 250 kilometres east of Melbourne, the Glenaladale deposit is one of the largest mineral sands deposits in the world, with a JORC (Joint Ore Reserves Committee) resource of 2.7 billion tonnes of heavy mineral.
The Fingerboards Mineral Sands Project focuses on a high-grade area of the Glenaladale orebody in the eastern part of the deposit located about 20 kilometres north west of Bairnsdale. Kalbar proposes to extract 170 million tonnes of ore to produce around 8 million tonnes of heavy mineral concentrate (HMC) over 15 years. The project area is approximately 1,675 hectares and the total area to be mined is approximately 1,100 hectares.
For more information, visit www.fingerboardsproject.com.au
Subject to approvals, Kalbar proposes to begin construction of the project in early 2022. Construction and commissioning/start up will take approximately 12 months.
The approvals process for the Fingerboards Project commenced in the second half of 2016 and includes an Environment Effects Statement (EES) under the Victorian Environment Effects Act 1978. The EES was completed in 2020 and ministerial assessment is anticipated in 2021.
Capital Works Overview
The Fingerboards Mineral Sands Project is a greenfield mining project which aims to develop new mining and ore processing facilities and related infrastructure (such as roads, rail, and water).
Latest Project Information & Updates
Please see documents attached under 'Project Documents' section of this page.
- Earthworks/civil works – dams, roads and drainage, concrete, earthen bunds, rail, foundations and hardstand
- Buildings, structures and mechanical – offices, maintenance workshops, fuel storage, structural steel, cladding, process plant and thickener
- Electrical and instrumentation – 66 kV and 22 kV, substations, switch rooms, control systems and transmission lines
- Pipework and pumps – pipelines, pump stations, internal mains, borefield and process water
- Miscellaneous – consulting rehabilitation services, fencing, security, transport, accommodation, labour hire, catering, plant hire and cleaning
Expressions of Interest (EOI) process
Kalbar is committed to supporting local industry participation and encourages capable local suppliers and contractors to express interest in providing products and services to the Fingerboards Project.
Click here for more information on Kalbar’s Local Content Guidelines.
HOW TO REGISTER AN EXPRESSION OF INTEREST (EOI)
- Please note that work packages are not yet defined. The list above is a brief overview of expected construction activities and trades.
- If you are interested in working on this proposed project and have capability in any of the listed areas above, Kalbar invites you to express your interest on the 'Potential Opportunities' work package below.
- Companies who submit an EOI on the 'Potential Opportunities' work package will receive information from ICN and Kalbar as the project evolves.
- To submit an EOI, companies must have an ICN Gateway company profile. Information on how to register your company on ICN Gateway is detailed below.
- The services, programmes and initiatives provided by ICN Victoria are aimed at complimenting a company's existing Sales, Marketing and Business Development strategy and any EOI submitted should not be considered as an alternative to these activities.
ICN GATEWAY COMPANY REGISTRATION
- Click here to register your company profile on ICN Gateway.
- Support and assistance is available through the web links listed below.
- An ICN Gateway company profile that accurately and effectively summarises your company is critical to using the services of the ICN network - please ensure that your company invests the time and energy required to represent your company in the most effective manner possible.
- Companies should ensure that the email notification functionality within their ICN Gateway company profile is activated to include an appropriate level of coverage to ICN Information and Updates, Major Projects and Regional Opportunities.
|Media Release - EES exhibition announced 31 August|
|Media Release - Fingerboards Project secures investment|
|Kalbar Ltd - Media Release|
Latest project information and updates on Kalbar - Fingerboards Mineral Sands Project