BHP - South Flank Iron Ore project
Project at a glance
BHP Western Australia Iron Ore requires the development of an additional ore deposit to sustain production as the Yandi mine is exhausted over the next five to ten years.
As a high-grade deposit, which enables the business to utilise existing infrastructure at Mining Area C, South Flank is the selected long term option to replace this production. The South Flank deposit is located approximately 130 km by road north-west of the town of Newman, and approximately 8 km to the south of the Companys existing Mining Area C operation.
As part of the project, the Company is seeking expressions of interest from suitably qualified contractors to gain an understanding of the capacity and capability of available contractors for the proposed project.
The proposed project will require the establishment of mining operations at South Flank and construction of associated infrastructure with processing capacity up to 80 million tonnes per annum including:
- Primary crushing facilities nominally located to the north of the proposed deposits;
- Run of Mine pads;
- Overland conveyors to Mining Area C;
- Coarse Ore Stockpile and Ore Handling Plant infrastructure at Mining Area C;
- Upgrade to the existing stockyards and outflow facilities;
- Duplication of the existing rail loop and addition of a second Train Loadout;
- Advanced mine de-watering in accordance with the mine plan;
- Expansion of the existing Mulla Mulla Accommodation Village;
- Installation of supporting non-process infrastructure (e.g. power lines, access roads) to support the new mining areas; and
- Expansion of existing non-processing infrastructure and industrial facilities to support production.
The project received board approval in June 2018.
Main construction and commissioning works Q1 CY2018 to Q1 CY2021.
Approximate Project Value (CAPEX):
>$2 billion AUD
Local and indigenous participation:
In line with BHP's commitment to supporting its communities, requirements relating to the engagement of local and Indigenous vendors will be included in the selection criteria.
The South Flank Project is currently in the execution phase. The scope descriptions, timelines and values stated in this project description are indicative only and subject to change.
Supply: Our Requirements sets out a set of minimum health, safety, environment, community and business conduct requirements for our suppliers. These requirements apply to all BHP suppliers globally as well as to anyone engaging suppliers on our behalf. To view the requirements click here.
BHP Western Australia Iron Ore (WAIO) is currently studying options for the Greenfield development of the Western Ridge site, adjacent to Mt Whaleback, West of Newman.
As part of the project, the Company is seeking expressions of interest (EOI) from suitably qualified contractors to gain an understanding of the capacity and capability of available contractors for the proposed project.