About Serco Defence
Serco Defence is an international service company with a standing ambition to be a superb provider of public services. Around the world, we improve essential services by managing people, processes, technology and assets more effectively. Employing around 9,000 people in the Asia Pacific region, we apply worlds best practice, insights and technology across seven key sectors: Defence, Justice, Health, Immigration, Facility Services, Citizen Services and Transport.
About the Project
The Australian Government has contracted Serco Defence to design, build, operate and maintain Australia's new icebreaker now named RSV Nuyina a modern, sophisticated ship that will offer scientists unprecedented and extended access to the Southern Ocean and Antarctica.
The once-in-a-generation investment by the Australian Government will form the centrepiece of Australia's Antarctic presence and influence the shape of Australia's Antarctic programme for decades to come.
The new 160-metre long, 24,000-tonne vessel will have increased cargo and marine science capability. The icebreaker will be larger, stronger and offer increased endurance compared with the ageing Aurora Australis which has been battling the stormy Southern Ocean since 1989.
The new ship provides a modern platform for marine science research in both sea ice and open water including a moon pool for the safe launching and retrieving remotely operated vehicles. A multi-beam bathymetric echo sounder will enable seafloor mapping, while portable and flexible science laboratories will offer scientists space to conduct cutting edge research.
For decades, the Aurora Australis has been an icon in Hobart. The new ship will also be home ported in Hobart once it enters operational service in early 2020. The new larger and more sophisticated multi-purpose icebreaker will create greater opportunities for Tasmanian and wider Australian maritime businesses to provide a range of support services over the 30-year lifespan of the vessel.
Construction Time Frame
Damen is a leading international shipyard group, with more than 6,000 employees and a presence in 34 countries. Damen produces a broad range of bespoke vessels including scientific, hydrographic, naval and ice ships, and since 1969 has delivered over 5,000 vessels. The icebreaker will be constructed at the Damen shipyard in Galati, Romania and is expected to be commissioned in May 2020.
Industry Briefing Opportunity
Serco Defence together with ICN, are committed to provide full, fair and reasonable opportunity for capable local industry to participate in the project and its supply chain opportunities, and reflect the project teams' commitment to local industry participation.
A briefing session will be held on Tuesday 31 July 2018 in Hobart where further information and opportunities will be discussed. At the briefing, you will learn more about the contract opportunities and pre-qualification requirements for this project.
This event is specifically aimed at companies in the maritime industry who have capability to support the, operation and maintenance elements of this project.
Opportunities during the operation and maintenance phase of the project may include the provision of services such as:
- Repair and maintenance (systems and equipment)
- Information & Communications Technology
- Berthing Facilities and Security
- Providoring and Fuel
Professional services, support providers, trades and sub trades who consider this project as an opportunity for additional business are invited to attend to learn more about the project and how to be involved.
CLICK HERE to register for the event.
Date: Tuesday 31 July 2018 | Hobart
Venue: Hobart Function and Conference Centre
1 Elizabeth Street Pier, Hobart TAS 7000
Time: 3:30pm* - 7:00pm (*Please arrive 30 minutes prior to event start time.)
Places are limited.
Registrations close at 5.00pm, Thursday 26 July 2018.
Please ensure you register your interest against the 'Any Opportunities' work package below to be alerted to opportunities and briefing sessions. All new and current registrants will be advised of the briefing session details.
HOW TO REGISTER AN EXPRESSION OF INTEREST (EOI)
Serco encourages local industry interested in supplying to the project to register an Expression of Interest (EOI) through the ICN Gateway webpage. Information on specific supply opportunities will be communicated on this ICN Gateway project page as it becomes available, with local industry able to register its interest against them.
- Work Packages currently available to submit an EOI for are listed below. It is expected that detailed work packages will be available following the briefing sessions.
- To submit an initial EOI for the Work Package listed, companies must have an ICN Gateway company profile that is complete and up to date. Information on how to register your company on ICN Gateway is detailed below.
- This is an initial, generic EOI submission only. All companies who submit an EOI will be included in information presented to Serco for this project.
- Serco will be provided with your detailed company profile outlining capabilities to supply into the project. It is important that businesses submitting an EOI are aware that their submission does not guarantee that they will progress further in the procurement process. Only companies that can demonstrate capability and capacity in accordance with Serco's standards will be invited to pre-qualify for specific opportunities.
- As ICN Victoria becomes engaged on individual Work Packages, project specific EOIs may need to be submitted.
- When the work packages are listed on ICN Gateway, your company will be notified provided you have selected relevant capabilities in the Notification section of your company profile on ICN Gateway.
- Register your interest as a full or partial scope supplier (where applicable).
- Respond to all project and work package specific questions.
- The services, programmes and initiatives provided by ICN Victoria are aimed at complimenting a company's existing Sales, Marketing and Business Development strategy and any EOI submitted should not be considered as an alternative to these activities.
ICN GATEWAY COMPANY REGISTRATION
- Click here to register your company profile on ICN Gateway.
- Support and assistance is available through the web links listed below.
- An ICN Gateway company profile that accurately and effectively summarises your company is critical to using the services of the ICN Group - please ensure that your company invests the time and energy required to represent your company in the most effective manner possible.
- Companies should ensure that the email Notification functionality within their ICN Gateway company profile is activated to include an appropriate level of coverage to Major Projects and Manufacturing Opportunities.