BHP Olympic Dam (OD, the Company) is a fully-integrated mining and mineral processing operation, owned by the BHP Group through its wholly owned subsidiary BHP Billiton Olympic Dam Corporation Pty Ltd.
Productivity initiatives have been implemented over the last two years at Olympic Dam however further work is required to ensure it is a globally competitive, world-class operation.
In order to achieve this, a Brownfield Expansion (BFX) project is being evaluated to develop the mine and processing plant to increase production and lower operating cost.
OD has historically operated in the Northern Mine Area (NMA) since operations commenced in the 1980s. The OD mine plan is now extending into the previously unexploited Southern Mine Area (SMA).
The proposed BFX Project (the Project) is to deliver a brownfield expansion of its underground and surface operations to deliver increased throughput of the existing plant and increasing overall copper production capacity. The Project is currently finalising its pre-feasibility (or SPS) and is planned to transition into ‘feasibility’ (or DPS) later in 2019.
The scope as it is currently defined in ‘pre-feasibility’ (or SPS) includes the following:
- Expanded footprint in the SMA to access more and higher grade ore
- Expansion of the existing surface processing facilities including:
- Installation of an additional grinding mill
- Expanded smelting facility and supporting plant
- Expansion of existing refinery complex
- Installation of additional water supply and accommodation infrastructure
- Provision of all associated:
- Project management (if required)
- Definition and detailed design required to deliver scope items (if required)
- Temporary/enabling works (if required)
The Project will complete definition and detailed design during the DPS, which will only commence after successful completion of the current SPS.
Pre-feasibility or SPS completed FY2019
Feasibility or DPS design commencing FY2020
Final investment decision FY2021
Main construction and commissioning works FY2021 to FY2024.
The proposed Project is currently completing a selection phase or ‘pre-feasibility’ study and is subject to a number of approvals. Accordingly, the scope descriptions, timelines and values stated in this project description are indicative only and subject to change.