BHP Olympic Dam (OD, the Company) is a world class mining and mineral processing operation, owned by the BHP Group through its wholly owned subsidiary BHP Billiton Olympic Dam Corporation Pty Ltd. OD mine operations have historically been in the Northern Mine Area (NMA) since operations commenced in the 1980s. The OD mine plan is now extending into the previously unexploited Southern Mine Area (SMA).
The Company uses a stope mining methodology at OD, with Run-of-Mine (ROM) introduced to the existing materials handling system via a grizzly to a vertical ore pass. ROM is then chute loaded to an autonomous underground rail system and transported to an unloading and crushing station before being hoisted to the surface.
The proposed MHS Project (the Project) is to deliver a modern underground rail materials handling system to support future extension of mine operations in the SMA. The Project would extend the underground materials handling system, and is currently transiting into ‘feasibility’ (Definition Phase Study (DPS)) period.
The scope as it is currently defined in ‘pre-feasibility’ (Selection Phase Study (SPS)) includes the following:
• Underground mining (lateral and vertical development) for new rail drives, load stations and orepasses
• New rail track network extension into the SMA
• Grizzlies and remote operated rock breakers at the ore pass tip points
• Supply of modern AC electrical locomotives and ore wagons, rail load stations and an integrated control system, with all associated services and utilities
• Upgrade to the existing Clark crushing and unloading station
• Provision of all associated:
- Project management (relevant to this EOI)
- Definition and detailed design required to deliver the above scope items (relevant to this EOI)
- Temporary/enabling works (if required)
- Fabrication and delivery of all equipment and materials
The Project will complete definition and detailed design during this DPS period over approximately twelve (12) months.
Feasibility or DPS design commencing Q2 CY2018
Preliminary enabling works commencing in CY2018
Final Investment decision Q1 CY2019
Main construction and commissioning works Q2 CY2018 to Q2 CY2022.
The proposed Project is currently transitioning into definition phase study and is subject to a number of approvals. Accordingly, the scope descriptions, timelines and values stated in this project description are indicative only and subject to change.