The State Government has announced that the electrification of the Gawler rail line from Adelaide to Salisbury will resume in 2017-18 transforming Adelaide’s rail network in delivering faster, cleaner, more frequent and more efficient services.
Stage One of the project is fully funded by the State Government at a cost of $152.5 million and will involve electrifying the rail line to Salisbury, with further funding currently being sought to complete the electrification to Gawler. The project will adhere to the Government's Industry Participation Policy which supports local jobs and local contractors and will strictly adhere to the State Government's policy requiring all steel to be sourced from Australian-standard certified fabricators and mills.
The Gawler rail electrification works will include:
- Installation of the overhead wiring system including masts and gantry supports
- Installation of a new signalling system
- Installation of an Automatic Train Protection system
- Installation of a new fibre optic communications system cable
- Installation of protective works and modifications to existing infrastructure
- Service relocations, vegetation trimming and removal and other works necessary to enable the electrification to proceed
- Signalling system upgrades and public safety improvements, including pedestrian level crossing enhancements and corridor fencing.
Lendlease with its Design Partner WSP has been shortlisted to provide the Department of Planning, Transport and Infrastructure (DPTI) with a Design and Construct Tender for this important infrastructure project.
Our team has a proven track record in the delivery of complex Overhead Wiring and Traction Power Systems and is committed to providing a legacy for South Australia by developing local staff and engaging as many suppliers and local businesses as possible.
Lendlease is currently leading the way with Industry Participation in South Australia and the establishment of NorthHub on the Northern Connector Project is successfully delivering jobs for local people, both directly on the project and through the involvement of local businesses supplying to the project.
It is a priority for Lendlease to maximise engagement of South Australian businesses, in particular those based in the Northern Economic Region (City of Port Adelaide Enfield, City of Playford and City of Salisbury). Our aim is to involve this supply chain to ensure we gain access to local expertise, knowledge and lessons learnt from previous projects, and to maximise the jobs that are created or retained as a result.
The Gawler Rail Electrification Project provides opportunities for business to being involved in the supply of the following products and services:
- Overhead Wiring Elements
- Civil Works
- Pit and Cable Supply
- Rail Protection Services
- Electrical and Traction Power works
- Steel reinforcing
- Structural Steel Fabrication
- Bridge Screens
- Vegetation Removal and Arborist Services
- Plant Hire
- Labour Hire
The South Australian Government is expecting to award the major works contract in December 2017, and site works is anticipated to commence early in 2018. The project is likely to be completed by June 2020.
We see this a key project for South Australia’s infrastructure and look forward to working with the community to safely deliver an electrified Gawler rail line for the people of SA.