About the Project
The Victorian Government has entered into a public private partnership contract with Evolution Rail. Sixty-five next-generation high capacity trains will be delivered for the metropolitan network. The high capacity trains will be the newest trains in the metropolitan Melbourne fleet, capable of carrying significantly more passengers than existing trains.
The trains will first operate on the Cranbourne and Pakenham lines and will eventually run through the Melbourne Metro Tunnel to Sunbury. High capacity metro trains will progressively enter service from mid-2019 and, when the project is complete in 2023, capacity on the Cranbourne and Pakenham lines will increase by 42 per cent, providing room for an additional 11,000 passengers in the morning peak.
About Evolution Rail
The Evolution Rail consortium comprises of Downer, CRRC Changchun and Plenary.
Downer employs over 2,000 people in Victoria across 40 sites and projects. In addition, the Keolis Downer joint venture employs about 2,000 people in Victoria.
About CRRC Changchun
CRRC Changchun undertakes design, manufacture, testing, commissioning and maintenance of locomotives and rolling stock.
Rolling Stock Project Opportunities
CRRC Changchun encourages local industry interested in supplying to the Rolling Stock project to register an Expression of Interest (EOI) through the ICN Gateway webpage.
- Information on specific supply opportunities will be communicated as they become available.
- Work Packages currently available are listed below.
- Awarded work packages will be listed for subcontractor engagement.
- Please refer to Fact Sheet on the HCMT Rolling Stock Procurement Process in the Project Documents section below.
'Tier 3' Products and Services Opportunities
CRRC Changchun Australia Rail invites expressions of interest from competent, capable and qualified local suppliers with the requisite skills, experience and capabilities to supply subcontract products and services to the HCMT Project Rolling Stock, as per the work packages listed below.
Potential CRRC Australia suppliers must be able to satisfy the following minimum compulsory selection criteria:
- Quality Management System compliant with ISO 9001 or equivalent [e.g. AS 9100; International Railway Industry Standard (IRIS); TS 16949; etc.].
- Reference projects in the Rail Industry or equivalent [e.g. Defence; Aerospace; Automotive; etc.]
- Ability to pass an external audit by the Independent Reviewer, confirming support with the HCMT Project teams upstream responsibility and commitments to the Victorian Government with delivery of:
- ANZ Value Added Activity (ANZ %)
- Victorian Content (VIC $)
- ANZ Annualised Employment Equivalent, AEE, Jobs (ANZ AEE)
- Victorian AEE Jobs (VIC AEE)
- Victorian Vocational Training AEE Jobs
- Victorian Disadvantaged AEE Jobs
- Ability to comply with the mandatory minimum 50 per cent local content requirement
CRRC Australia will only consider EOI submissions that:
- Meet the selection criteria listed above
- Successfully complete all questions in the subsequent work package question set
- Clearly demonstrate the ability to manufacture and supply the subcontract products and services in each work package
For those suppliers interested in sub-tier and aligned opportunities, CRRC Australia commits to publishing the contact details of the successful Tier 3 vendor selected, upon completion of the Tier 3 Procurement Process.
Material Subcontract Award Announcements
Details: Bogie Frame
Successful Subcontractor: Hofmann Engineering Services (Hofmann Group)
25 Bushmaster Court
North Bendigo, VIC Australia 3550
Phone: 03 5440 7400
Details: Pantograph System
Successful Subcontractor: Austbreck (Wabtec Corporation)
34 - 36 Westpool Drive
Hallam, VIC 3803
Phone: 03 9702 4011
Details: Fire Detection System
Successful Subcontractor: Fire Protection Technologies
1/251 Ferntree Gully Road
Mount Waverley VIC 3149
Phone: 1300 742 296
Details: Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning
Successful Subcontractor: Sigma Air Conditioning
9 - 13 Stoney Way
Derrimut VIC 3030
Phone: 03 8353 6400
Details: Coupler Package
Successful Subcontractor: Dellner Couplers Australia (Dellner Group)
F 2/8 Newry Drive
New Gisborne VIC 3438
Phone: 03 5420 7732
For additional information about Downer and CRRC Changchun, please visit:
The following Victorian State Government websites are also useful:
- Victorian Government Department of Treasury and Finance
- Victorian Government Department of Economoic Development, Jobs, Transport and Resources
ICN Gateway EOI Process
To submit an initial EOI for the Work Package listed, companies must have an ICN Gateway company profile that is complete and up to date. Information on how to register your company on ICN Gateway is detailed below.
CRRC Changchun will be provided with your detailed company profile outlining capabilities to supply into the project. It is important that businesses submitting an EOI are aware that their submission via this Gateway page does not guarantee that they will progress further in CRRC Changchun's procurement process. Only companies that can demonstrate capability and capacity in accordance with CRRC Changchun's standards will be invited by Downer themselves to pre-qualify for specific opportunities.
1. Register your interest as a full or partial scope supplier (where applicable).
2. Respond to all project and work package specific questions (as required)
The services provided by ICN Victoria are aimed at complimenting a company's existing Sales, Marketing and Business Development strategy and any EOI submitted should not be considered as an alternative to these activities.
ICN Gateway Company Registration
Support and assistance is available through the web links listed below.
An ICN Gateway company profile that accurately and effectively summarises your company is critical to using the services of the ICN - please ensure that your company invests the time and energy required to represent your company in the most effective manner possible.
Companies should ensure that the email Notification functionality within their ICN Gateway company profile is activated to include an appropriate level of coverage to Major Projects and Manufacturing Opportunities.
- ICN Gateway Setup Wizard (If you do not have a company profile already set up)
- ICN Gateway User Guide 2017