The Victorian Government has entered into a public private partnership contract with Evolution Rail.
65 new 7-car trains will be delivered by mid 2023, providing a dedicated train fleet for the Cranbourne Pakenham line in Victoria.
As part of the delivery of these new trains, a new train depot will be constructed.
The depot will include maintenance facilities, a stabling yard and a train simulator, and will have the flexibility to cater for the future train maintenance needs of the network.
The project will deliver 1,100 highly-skilled jobs, including more than 100 jobs at the new depot in Pakenham East. It will also provide an invaluable boost to local manufacturing and related supply chains.
Evolution Rail has contracted Downer EDI to design and construct the depot. The depot is designed to maintain 65 HCMTs and include operational stabling for 30 HCMTs.
The key areas of the facility include:
- 4 elevated roads
- 1 lift road
- Office and stores
- Stabling yard, including 10 roads
- Underfloor wheel lathe
- Bio and graffiti cleaning facility and presentation road
- Test track, 1250m long
- Train wash
- Integrated testing facility
- Upgrade of external roads to access site, including and new entrance road connection to the mainline
- Traction power and overhead wiring
- Existing services protection
- New services, stormwater drainage, civil and landscaping works
About Evolution Rail
The Evolution Rail consortium comprises of Downer EDI, CRRC Changchun and Plenary.
Downer employs over 2,000 people in Victoria across 40 sites and projects. In addition, the Keolis Downer joint venture employs about 2,000 people in Victoria.
Downers scope of works for HCMT includes:
- Project management services for the HCMT construction;
- Design, construction and commissioning of the train maintenance facility, stabling yards and light service facility; and
- Maintenance and overhaul of the HCMT fleet, train maintenance facility, light service facility and simulators for 30 years.
Depot Project Opportunities
Downer encourages local industry interested in supplying to the Depot project to register an Expression of Interest (EOI) through the ICN Gateway webpage.
- Information on specific supply opportunities will be communicated as they become available.
- Work Packages currently available are listed below.
- Awarded work packages will be listed for subcontractor engagement
- Please refer to Fact Sheet on the HCMT Depot Procurement Process in the Project Documents section below.
For additional information on the HCMT Project and upcoming opportunities, please refer to website links below:
- Downer Victoria
- Downer Group
- Victorian Government's Department of Treasury and Finance
- Victorian Department of Economic Development, Jobs, Transport and Resources
For information on HCMT Depot procurement processes, please visit downervictoria.com.au/news
ICN Gateway EOI Process
To submit an initial EOI for the Work Packages listed, companies must have an ICN Gateway company profile that is complete and up to date. Information on how to register your company on ICN Gateway is detailed below.
Downer will be provided with your detailed company profile outlining capabilities to supply into the project. It is important that businesses submitting an EOI are aware that their submission via this Gateway page does not guarantee that they will progress further in Downer's procurement process. Only companies that can demonstrate capability and capacity in accordance with Downer's standards will be invited by Downer themselves to pre-qualify for specific opportunities.
- Register your interest as a full or partial scope supplier (where applicable).
- Respond to all project and work package specific questions (as required)
The services provided by ICN Victoria are aimed at complimenting a company's existing Sales, Marketing and Business Development strategy and any EOI submitted should not be considered as an alternative to these activities.
ICN Gateway Company Registration
Click here to register your company profile on ICN Gateway.
Support and assistance is available through the web links listed below.
An ICN Gateway company profile that accurately and effectively summarises your company is critical to using the services of the ICN Group - please ensure that your company invests the time and energy required to represent your company in the most effective manner possible.
Companies should ensure that the email Notification functionality within their ICN Gateway company profile is activated to include an appropriate level of coverage to Major Projects and Manufacturing Opportunities.
(1) ICN Gateway Setup Wizard (If you do not have a company profile already set up)