The O-Bahn City Access Project is to provide at-grade priority bus lanes along Hackney Road; and a guided busway tunnel from Hackney Road (just north of Botanic Road) to Grenfell Street. The project extends from the Hackney Rd Bridge to the Grenfell and East Terrace Intersection (Adelaide CBD).
The Project provides the following primary benefits:
(a) improved travel time and reliability of service for the commuters of the O-Bahn busway;
(b) improved capacity and safety of the adjacent road network including the inner city ring route along Hackney Road and Dequetteville Terrace, through grade separation of the signalised intersections at Botanic Road/North Terrace and Rundle Road;
(c) enhanced pedestrian and cyclist facilities including a bridge structure over the River Torrens;
(d) creation of a safer, more attractive, vibrant and efficient public space for East End community events and business operations precinct;
(e) allow for compatibility with proposed long term transport initiatives; and
(f) improved safety and accessibility for pedestrian and cyclists.
The Department of Planning, Transport and Infrastructure also has a website
The scope of works includes the design and construction of;
- Tunnel Structure; tunnel walls, floor, a tunnel portal on Hackney Rd, a tunnel portal in Rymill Park, and roof; first creek aqueduct; emergency and maintenance access and egress; retaining walls and fences; etc.
- Tunnel Electrical and Mechanical Systems (E&M); High Voltage (HV) Incoming Power, Low Voltage (LV) Power Reticulation System, tunnel lighting, tunnel drainage, ventilation and smoke managemen, plant room(s), etc. fire detection, alarm and suppression systems, fire indicator panels, automatic gas suppression smoke detection systems, hydrants, switch room /tunnel services room, Heating Ventilation and Air-conditioning (HVAC) & Plumbing services, etc.
- Roadworks, Traffic Signals and ITS; modifications and upgrade to Hackney road to provide an additional southbound median bus lane, realignment of East Terrace from Grenfell Street to Pirie Street and Hutt Street intersection, upgrade of East Terrace from Grenfell Street to North Terrace, modifications to Dequetteville Terrace from Capper Street to North Terrace, modifications to Rundle Road, road lighting upgrade for all roadways, modifications to signalised intersections, signage, etc.
- Cycling and Walking; Shared Use Path from Botanic Road to Bundeys Road (western side of Hackney Road); Shared Use Path footbridge over the River Torrens; bicycle connection from Westbury Street to Bundeys Road (Eastern side of Hackney Road); modification to the existing parkland trails; and continuous bicycle lanes on East Terrace, from Hutt Street to North Terrace.
- Stormwater Management and Drainage; modifications and upgrades to existing drainage systems to maintain capacity
- Pavements; bus only priority lanes on Hackney Road and to Grenfell / East Terrace intersection, asphalt pavement for new roadways; etc.
- Utility Services; various relocations and protection works, outages, access permits, approvals and undertaking work methodologies to accommodate the works in consultation with the relevant Service Authorities.
- Intelligent Transport Systems (ITS); Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) System including integration with DPTI systems, communications network, Video Incident Detection System, unauthorised vehicle detection and warning system, tunnel air quality and flow instrumentation, tunnel closure system closed Circuit Television surveillance system, advance Warning sign, public Address System, radio Rebroadcast System, vehicle detection systems, etc.
- Bridges & Minor Structures; structural modifications (construct only) to the western Hackney Road bridge, new Shared Use Path footbridge structure crossing the River Torrens, other miscellaneous minor structures,
- Urban Form and Landscaping; landscaping and reinstatement of medians and verges, tunnel portals, streetscaping and furniture to footpaths, verges and medians to Hackney Road, Grenfell Street, and East Terrace.